Pages

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Bulletin Boards

While cleaning up my harddrive and going through old pictures, I found some photos of bulletin boards I created during my student teaching experience. I had forgotten about these, so I am really pleased that I have the photos to remind me. All of the following photos are from the same elementary (k-5) school.




This display is the first one I did at this particular school. I am most proud of this one because it was completely my idea. This was fall of 2008, a big election year, as you may recall. I had every student in grades 1-5 vote for their favorite book, author or series. I arranged and counted up the voting. I kept each grade's results separate for obvious reaons.
Boo! is by Robert Munsch, and we had just recently completed an author unit on Munsch. The first graders really responded to this man, and the unit was a lot of fun to teach.
I particularly love the confetti around the top of the display. Luckily the art teacher had scraps of shiny paper that she was willing to part with.






This next display I put up around the holiday season. The librarian had recently ordered these Grinch images. It was getting close to the end of my time at this school, and the holiday season is very short, so I wanted to make it as customizable as possible. Take off the Grinch images and you are still left with a winter wonderland scene that could potentially last all the way to March. All that you would have to do is add other pieces to make it fit the different months. I don't know if my supervisor took advantage of this after I left or not. When you have the same students for six years in a row, I think it's important to rotate and change displays. I think this is the kind of shortcut that is very useful without detracting from the surroundings.






The only credit I can take for this display is that I am the one who stapled it to the board. But I wanted to share it because I love that it incorporates the Dewey Decimal System. This board is one that inspired me to create a similar one for books about Pennsylvania. I just love how it shows all the different categories that books about one subject can be found in. You have Christmas poetry in one area and Christmas crafts in another and more general books in another area in entirely. I love the Dewey Decimal system and while it may not be used in many universities, you still find it in public libraries. So since not every child does go onto higher education after graduation, those who venture in public libraries will at least know how to get around and find what they're looking for.